Sunday, April 12, 2009

Former Fat Boy Turned Slim

Written By Tan Wen Hui, Joyce
Last edited on 4th April 2008
Written on 2nd April 2008


While most pubescent youths find it hard coping with their raging emotions due to hormonal changes, others find it tough trying to suppress their growing appetite which could lead to obesity in adulthood.

One such individual was Mr Wang Weiming, Ricky, a 24-Year-Old civil servant who has learnt through the course of his growing years that obesity, is not a disease but rather, a choice of learning how to manage one's cravings.

Once a pudgy, round-faced boy whose favorite pastime was pigging out at fast food restraunts right after school, Mr Wang packed a massive 48 kilograms on his elfin-like frame which made him look like a wine barrel.

He was then 13 and stood 1.38 meters tall.

And it did not help that he had a good friend who was of his equivalent.

"For four whole years since Primary 5, I've been stuffing myself non-stop, so much so that I could wipe up two bowls of curry chicken noodle for recess." Commented the tall, brawny man with a diminutive smile.

His elder sister even went to the extreme of poking fun at him by using a pair of lipstick to creatively craft out a face on both his torso and belly, just to show him how paunchy he appeared.

Yet, that did not stop him from gorging himself.

By the end of his Secondary Two year, Mr Wang fell victim to his classmates' jeers. Some even made snide remarks about his appearance and bluntly labeled him a pig as he was also, a simple-minded and happy-go-lucky boy.

"When the annual class photos were out, my classmates couldn't tell apart me from my friend. They laughed at me, thinking I was him and vice versa just because we shared similar physical attributes."

To make matters worse, he was fond of a particular female student who he dared not befriend with as he feared that she would immediately reject him based on his appearance.

"That was when I realized how fat was I and started to get self-concious of my looks."

Mr Wang's decision to commence on a rigorous dieting and exercise program was sparked off by these two factors, which raked his fortitude to slim down regardless of pain.

"When I first began my diet, it was really a torture having to withstand all those nice-smelling edibles, especially in town. But I told myself that if I wanted results, I will have to put up with all these torture."

His intense workout plan comprises not just only a rigorous 2.4 km jog every evening but also, a low carbohydrate meal rich in fiber with a serving of steamed fish.

Thankfully, Mr Wang began to shoot up in height and gradually lost those kilos. The remaining two momentos redolent of his pudgy appearance was his Secondary Two class photograph and an excess flab around his waist, which he has been unable of get rid off till today, despite him working out daily.

He also practices wushu every Thursdays.

"I guess if I didn't learn to manage my appetite, I would've become a Singaporean sumo!But I must say, it does feel good to be slim as it gives me confidence."

No comments:

Post a Comment